The global economy includes several sectors that evolved in successive phases.I. The ancient economy was mainly based on subsistence farming. II. The industrial revolution lessened the role of subsistence farming, converting it to more extensive and monocultural forms of agriculture in the last three centuries. III. The economic growth took place mostly in mining, construction and manufacturing industries. In the economies of modern consumer societies there is a growing part played by services, finance, and technology—the (knowledge economy). In modern economies, there are four main sectors of economic activity:1. Primary Sector of economy.This Sector involves changing natural resources into primary products.Therefore the following sectors belong to the primary sector:1) Agriculture Sector – Vegetable origin2) Agribusiness Sector - is a generic term for the various businesses involved in food production, including farming and contract farming, seed supply, agrichemicals, farm machinery, wholesale and distribution, processing, marketing, and retail sales. The term has two distinctly different connotations depending on context.3) Fishing Sector – From the sea4) Forestry Sector – Forest5) Mining and quarrying industries – From mines.
2. Secondary Sector of economy.This Sector includes those economic sectors that transform raw materials into finished or semi-finished products, usable product.Therefore the following sectors belong to the secondary sector:1) Industrial Sector2) Energy Sector3) Mining Sector - Is also considered part of the secondary sector, because from mining different products can be created4) Construction Sector
3. Tertiary Sector of economy.This sector involves the provision of services to consumers and businesses.Therefore the following sectors belong to the tertiary sector:1) Transport sector2) Communications sector3) Commercial sector4) Tourism sector5) Health sector6) Education sector7) Financial sector8) Administration sector
4. Quaternary Sector of Economy.This sector produces highly intellectual services such as research, development, innovation and information.It principally concerns the following services: 1) Information generation, 2) Information sharing, consultation, 3) Education and research and development.
5. The two sectors that concern the ownership of the means of production are:1) Public sector2) Private sector6. The sectors that have particular characteristics that can distinguish them from the rest:1) Strategic sectors (transport, communications, weapons, energy)2) External sector (the compound by companies involved in foreign trade)
In Libya, as in other countries are attending the sectors described above but we will focus on those sectors that have more evolution and development in our country today and where the foreign firms are more likely to participate and develop their business.
These sectors that will be explained below are:
1) Construction and infrastructure. 2) Energy (Oil, gas, electrical)3) Investments4) Tourism5) Environment6) General trade 7) Others
< Return Back